What is the CAN-SPAM ACT of 2003? Can I legally ”SPAM”?
The CAN-SPAM act of 2003 provides a range of guidelines that you MUST adhere to if you wish to legally send e-mail to other businesses and potential customers.
The guidelines are very straight forward but please read the guidelines in detail before you plan on doing any e-mail marketing to make sure you are covered. You can get this information from Wikipedia here.
So, there are 3 main points that really stand out, in all your e-mails you must:
- Provide an easy and visible method to OPT-OUT of your mailing list.
- Always provide descriptive subject lines that are NOT misleading in anyway way.
- Be sent from a legitimate e-mail address and server.
To us this is not much to ask for if the benefit is reaching so many potential customers. Ok, you know why you should do it and how to do it legally, let’s take a look at the tools you are going to need.
E-Mail Marketing Software, what to look for?
There are 100s probably 1000s of different e-mail marketing tools available from free to very expensive but what should you be looking for? Click here for Best Email Marketing Software 2018 Reviews of the Most Popular Systems.
To me there are some vital requirements that e-mail marketing software should provide:
- The ability to import and manage your mailing lists
- The ability to provide multiple SMTP servers for sending (See how to not get black-listed later on)
- The ability to provide reports of who has opened read and clicked a link in your e-mail
- The ability to automatically manage your un-subscriptions (OPT-OUTs)